Monday, March 8, 2010

my must-see-places

Here are some places which I really really want to see!
Planning to go to Europe in 2011 to see Greece and Turkey, thus they are on the top two of this list.

Greece (1)
When I planned to go to Germany for an exchange programme in 2008, I only had some places in my mind which I'm keen on visiting: Greece and Italy. Greece was on the list! I had even finished creating my travel itinerary for Greece. But sadly, I couldn't manage to get there, and I went to so many other places instead. That travel itinerary was left unfulfilled. That's why I'm so determined to go to Europe again to see Greece! My first initial plan was to go to Greece from Italy, ie. taking a ferry from Bari to Patras. From Patras, the overland journey will go to Olympia, Mystras, Sparta, Argos, Nafplio, Mykines, and Korinthos. From Korinthos, Athens is easily reachable. Here, the centuries old Parthenon is within reach. Athens' port of Piraeus is the hub of all ferries connecting the mainland Greece with islands scattered in Aegean Sea. One of the most interesting island is Santorini (Thira), which is believed to be the source of the legend of the lost city of Atlantis. Santorini is a remnant of a volcanic cone, and it has a very beautiful sunset!

Athens

Santorini (Thira)

Turkey (2)
Turkey, another country with long history and rich in culture. Turkey is easily reachable from Greece, as there is a direct overnight train from Thessaloniki to Istanbul (Filia Express). Some places that I want to see there: Istanbul, Cappadocia, and Pamukkale. Istanbul was Constantinople, it was the capital of the once mighty Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine Empire). Ottomans conquered the city in 1453 which symbolically marked the end of the dominance of Greco-Roman culture in the world. Architecturally speaking, Istanbul is stunning: a melting pot of Greek, Byzantine, Muslim and Ottoman architectures. Cappadocia has a natural wonder of its own. It's most famous for the "fairy-chimneys" and taking a trip on a hot-air balloon over the region is breathtaking! Pamukkale, or "cotton castle", contains hot springs and travertines, terraces of carbonate minerals left by the flowing water. Can't wait to see all of these ;)

Istanbul

Cappadocia

Pamukkale

Peru (3)

Macchu Picchu

Egypt (4)

Great Pyramid of Giza

Israel
(5)

Jerusalem

Jordan
(6)

Petra

Indonesia (7)
Last but not least, presenting what is so amazing about Indonesia!

No comments: