Thursday, January 1, 2009

what's your childhood dream?

Recently, I finished reading one book by Randy Pausch. You can look more about him here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Pausch. So, the title of the book is “The Last Lecture.” I was introduced to this man by my friend. I watched his last lecture in YouTube. It’s really his last lecture, literally the last lecture ever because he was diagnosed with a cancer which left him with a very short time left to live. I was inspired by one blog post from my friend about this book. The book mainly talked about how to live up again your childhood dreams. Here’s a list of my childhood dreams :P

1. To be a pilot or an astronaut.

When I was still in the elementary school, I really like to play the role as a pilot on my bed, with all the pillows and bolsters. It’s like a “flight simulation” hahahaha, simulating all the “commands” that the pilot will give to the Air Traffic Control (ATC) and to his co-pilot. Yeah, I just want to fly something, and perhaps go to the outer space. I thought that will be very cool!

2. To be a world renowned archeologist and discover an ancient ruin from an unknown civilization.

I was so fascinated with history (and still do, I think there are many reasons why people should study history), especially those related with ancient civilization like Mycenaean, Egyptian, and Babylonian civilization. Maybe this dream is also inspired by “Indiana Jones” LoL.

3. I want to discover something!

The point is, I want my name listed in one of the patent list as a discoverer of “something”:P. Sounds really funny huh? I once had a small notebook. Do you know what’s in it? Sketches of weird “tools” that I have “invented.” What I can remember so far is this tool: a machine that can iron all the clothes and fold them automatically. In fact this machine do exist, but at the time I was “inspired” to “invent” it (I think I was still a 5th grader at that time), my family didn’t have it, and I never see such a machine.

4. Going in a trip around the world

This dream is mainly driven by my love for history. I really wanted to see all the buildings that I saw inside the encyclopedia that I have at home such as Taj Mahal, Forum Romanum, the Pyramids, etc.

5. To be a renowned mangaka

I like to read comics; I also like to draw my own comics. Yeah but the quality is far than what you can call a comic LoL. I once had this “great plan.” I had prepared a story, not too long. I had prepared all the characters. I have done the “character design.” But in the end I only managed to draw 3 pages of manga hahahaha. What did I do after that? I gave up with that “great plan” and just randomly draw stuffs whenever I get bored :P.

6. Study overseas

I really wanted to continue my study somewhere overseas. At that time, I really wanted to go to the United States. I’ve heard so much from my uncle on how good the education in the States is.

7. Get married, have a family, and live happily ever after

Hahahaha, this one is just like the closing part of many fairy tales, “… and they live happily ever after.” Yeah, believe it or not, that’s one of my childhood dreams as well :P.

How many have I achieved? Only 1! I managed to continue my study overseas! Yeah, although it’s not in the States, but I’m really thankful that I can study in Singapore. I won’t be able to be a pilot or astronaut, neither an archeologist. The field of study I am going through right now is totally far away from being a pilot, astronaut, or archeologist. But who knows, maybe I can be a “part-time” astronaut, being sent to the outer once to do some research on something. Or perhaps apply what I’ve learnt in the world of computer engineering to help archeologists? We’ll see.

I’ve seen many places in the world, but yeah still far from “around the world.” Maybe I could achieve this dream someday. To be a renowned mangaka? Now, I thought as this only as my hobby. I still like to draw in my free time. Get married, have a family, and live happily ever after? Yeah I'm still 21 years old, still have a lot to learn, and a long way to go~~

So what are your childhood dreams?

No comments: