Tuesday, December 5, 2006

what's the true meaning of christmas anyway?


I am not a baby Christian, I was baptised when I was still a baby. But yet, what's is the meaning of Christmas for me?

When I was still a kid, my mom always told me many stories about Christmas, from Jesus who was born in a manger, the three Magi from the East, Santa Claus and his reindeers, she told me everything. However, one thing that attracted me most as a kid is the Santa Claus story. My mom told me that Santa always come on the Christmas night to bring presents for kids. At that time, I really believed in her story, I believe that Santa Claus is exist! I remember one night, I insisted on staying awake to wait for Santa Claus to come, but I could not make it. In the morning, under the Christmas tree, I saw many presents. Woa, I was so happy, but I was also sad because I missed the chance of meeting Santa Claus. The presents were a new cloth and toys. I kept believing that those presents are really from Santa Claus until 5 years later I realised that they were from my mom. My mom wake up very early in the morning to set the presents under the Christmas tree. At that time, I realised that Santa Claus is just a bedtime story from my mom.

Before I went to Singapore, I always spent every Christmas with my entire family, having a christmas dinner, watching a christmas movie, and attending christmas celebration at my local church. I only thought Christmas is a time for us to celebrate, parties are everywhere! Even in Jakarta, many malls set up many Christmas decorations and hold great sales with tempting discount rate. The only thing I know is that Christmas equals party time.

However, is it really Christmas our Lord want us to have?
There are several points to consider: (note: different denominations may have their own different view on some points I mention here)

Christ was born to the world. Yes, but for what purpose?
Every christians should know the answer to this question. Yes, Jesus Christ was born to atone our sins. We learned this since our primary school. Our teachers in the sunday school always stressed this fact again and again. Christ was born to die on the cross as an atonement to our sins.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him." (John 3: 16-17, NASB)

If we never received any miracles or good things in our life, we still need to be ever thankful. Why? Because of this greatest grace that the LORD our God has given to us, all who believe in Him, the promise of eternal life in Heaven. Adam has fallen into sin by following Satan's calling. Therefore, all of the descendants of Adam (all men) are born with this sin, the original sin. As the scripture said: "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23, NASB).

Christ came to this sinful world to take all the men's sin with Him on the cross. "Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit" (John 19:30, NASB). What is finished? Jesus had finished His divine task on this world, to take away the sin of the world (John 1:29b).

Now, for whom Jesus died on the Cross?
Indeed Jesus died on the cross for all men, however not all men can receive this atonement. We know this as the doctrine of limited atonement (definite atonement). Only those who are faithful to Him and already received Him as the only saviour can receive this atonement. Thus, LORD our God has already known for sure all "His sheeps".

"I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep." (John 10:14-15, NASB)

God chose a group of people, who would not and could not choose Him to be saved apart from their works or their cooperation, and those people are compelled by God's irressistable grace to accept the offer of the salvation achieved in the atonement of Christ. Since in this scheme God knows precisely who the elect are, Christ needn't atone for sins other than those of the elect.

"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." (Matthew 7:13-14, NASB)

Now, when we know these things, what's our response?
We now understand that we have received the atonement from our sins. We are worthy of this grace only because of Jesus. These all are because of our faith on Him. But now, how's our response? Is christmas is just a time to party? When we know the reason of this celebration, what we need to do is a self-reflection. What we have done in this one year? Do we getting better and better and all things that we do reflect His perfectness? Do we getting closer and closer of being like Christ, or otherwise? We are being dragged away from Him. I left these questions for us to answer...

Song - He's Everything to Me
In the stars His handiwork I see, On the wind He speaks with majesty.
Though he ruleth over land and sea, What is that to me? (Refrain)
I will celebrate Nativity, For it has a place in history.
Sure, He came to set His people free, What is that to me? (Refrain)

Refrain:
Till by faith I met Him face to face, And I felt the wonder of His grace,
Then I knew that He was more than just a God who didn't care
That lived away out there and Now He walks beside me day by day,
Ever watching o'er me lest I stray, Helping me to find that narrow way,
He's everything to me.

No comments: